The Appointments Advisory Committee’s main function is to assist with the process of appointing adults in Scouting by advising on their suitability.
It is important to remember that the committee is not a ‘rubber-stamping’ body. It must carry out its responsibilities with integrity and with the welfare of the Movement and its Members in mind. On the one hand, it has an important role in ensuring those who are unsuitable to work with young people or look after funds do not have access to either. On the other, it should not be a barrier to those who are genuinely interested in and suitable for taking on a role.
Ultimately, the Appointments Advisory Committee exists to support the District commissioner, who has overall responsibility for Scouting in their locality.
The Appointments Advisory Committee is a mandatory sub-committee of the Executive Committee and exits to determine the suitability of adults for appointments. This includes:
- Approval meetings: meeting with new adults to assess whether they are aware of and willing to uphold the values and policies of The Scout Association and whether they understand the requirements of the role and are able to carry them out.
- Reviews: supporting the review process, considering (with the line manager) the outcome of a review. Change of appointment: considering applications for change of appointment and assessing if the applicant is able and prepared to carry out the role.
- Cancellations: cancelling appointments when agreed with the line manager or relevant commissioner and recording the reason for the cancellation.
- Suspensions: following the suspension of an adult, recommending continuation of suspension, re-instatement, modification or cancellation of an appointment.
- Disagreements: supporting the commissioner in the resolution of disagreements between adults.
The appointments panel meet on the first Wednesday of alternate months. If you have been asked to book a appointment then please choose the relevant date and time slot from the calendar below.
These meetings will be held at Killamarsh HQ, If you are unable to attend due to travel restrictions, please contact the appointment panel by clicking here.