East Scarsdale Scouts
Outline: As a member of the District Leadership Team the District Youth Commissioner works in partnership with the District Commissioner and Chairperson of the District Executive Committee. The role is to ensure that young people from 6-25 years are involved and engaged in every decision that shapes their Scouting experience locally and to empower young people to share their ideas and have a meaningful voice in planning, implementing and reviewing their programme and opportunities.
Length of Appointment: 3 years (suggested)
Responsible to: District Commissioner Responsible for: District Youth Forum (or similar) Lead, Deputy District Youth Commissioner(s) (if appointed).
Main Contacts: Young people within their District, District Commissioner, District Youth Forum Lead, Deputy District Youth Commissioners, Deputy District Commissioners, Group Scout Leaders, District Explorer Scout Commissioner, District Scout Network Commissioners, Scout Network Programme Coordinators, Assistant District Commissioners, District Chairperson, members of the District Executive Committee and its sub-committees, County Youth Commissioner and other District Youth Commissioners.
Appointment Requirements: Must successfully complete the appointment process (including acceptable personal enquiries and acceptance of The Scout Association’s policies). During the five months of Provisional Appointment the relevant Getting Started modules must be completed. A Wood Badge must be completed during the Appointment, and ongoing safeguarding and safety training must be completed.
Examples of Main Tasks
- Champion, encourage and lead the work to ensure that, by 2018, scouting in the District is shaped by young people in partnership with adults. This will be achieved by working in partnership and collaboration and with the District Commissioner, District Chairperson, Group Scout Leaders and District Team.
Supporting youth-shaped Scouting in the Programme
- Visit Section Meetings to talk and inspire young people and young adults about youth-shaped Scouting and what is happening within their District.
- Support Groups and Sections to provide local youth engagement opportunities including forums
- Together with the District Scout Network Commissioner, and Programme Coordinators, encourage Scout Network members to shape and lead projects and activities for the District Scout Network.
- Encourage youth leadership at all levels within Groups and Sections (Young Leaders, Sixers & Seconders, Patrol Leaders & Assistant Patrol Leaders etc.)
- Work with ADCs (Sections) to support Leaders and other adult volunteers to embed youth shaped Scouting.
Developing Young People
- Work with other adults to identify, encourage and develop talented young people and young adults who wish to become more involved in shaping Scouting.
- Provide support to 18-25 year old members on Executive Committees.
- Increase the role and participation of young people in the leadership and management of the District.
Embedding Young People in Local Decision Making
- Work with all members of the District to ensure that the views of young people are represented in decision making.
- Encourage the creation and greater participation in meaningful Youth Forums
- Appoint, support and manage a Youth Forum Lead.
- Ensure that recommendations from the Youth Forum to the District Executive Committee and District Team are considered and appropriately implemented and that an effective method to provide feedback on outcomes to the Youth Forum is in place.
- Establish a robust method of communicating with the District Commissioner and young people within the District.
- Work as a key part of the District Leadership Team contributing and taking an active part in the delivery of the District Development Plan.
- Work with the County Youth Commissioner to develop youth-shaped Scouting within the County, providing feedback to adults and young people.
- Work with other local Youth Commissioners to feed into the UK Youth Commissioner Team including taking part in national training and conference opportunities (often virtual).
Note: any other tasks are to be agreed with the District Commissioner.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.